pvgs header logo Pecan Valley Genealogical Society
×

FreeFind Search of PVGS Website


The PVGS

Brownwood June 16, 2020 by Frank Hilton-The first question discussed was when should we open the Genealogical Library on a normal basis? Edwin probably won’t be back until July 15th or maybe August 1st. And Edwin may not be able to work the full 5 hour shift. We will just have to wait & see 2. Who is available to work on a regular basis? Judy volunteered to work. Karen will put her on the schedule. 3. Frank suggested we close at 5 pm now instead of 6 pm. Karen suggested the same. Edwin might need to come in 1 hour earlier to get his hours in. Jeannette will talk with Becky to get her approval. 4. There’s no one to scan the books in besides Edwin. Someone else needs to learn his job just so it will get done when he is not in. Judy volunteered to help with the scanning. The Wednesday girls help with putting books on the shelves. They label them & do projects. Becky will be the one to teach us Edwin’s job. Frank said a notebook should be here with directions about how to do the jobs. Jeannette will let us know when Becky can teach us the job Edwin does on scanning. 5. We should start our monthly meetings soon. We will plan on starting our monthly meeting on August 10 at 7 pm instead of 6:30 pm. The discussion included meeting at Adams Street library or The Section Hand Restaurant for our July picnic. It was determined we cannot have more than 10 people together so we will go to the Adams Street Library. Update: Now, we are waiting until later for the picnic. 6. Classmates.com has all the annuals. Should we become a member as a library? Right now, the membership is half price, only $36.00 for 2 years. Karen made the motion, Frank seconded it. It passed. 7. Sanitation practices in the library here are being handled by various people. Jeannette wants to talk to Becky about getting someone to come in & do the floors. We can all do the doorknobs, handles, tables, etc. 8. Doris Dickerson died. What can we do as a gift for all she did for the library? She dusted & cleaned & did the floors often. She was a big help to this library. She worked many years for the Baptist encampment & her obituary suggested any gifts be given to them. Frank moved we do a memorial of $75 to the Baptist encampment in her name. Judy seconded the motion. 9. The air conditioner man was in last week. Our AC needed attention. The filter is in the ceiling & Jeannette will talk to Becky about getting someone to come & change the filter on a regular basis. We don’t have a ladder tall enough to reach it & there’s no one here that should be doing it. 10.The Camp Bowie project Frank has been working on is canceled for now, Frank said. 11.Jeannette will send a reminder out some days before our 1st meeting. 12.Judy is working on sending the lists of the Duplicate books to libraries across Texas. Jeannette made lists of the duplicate books we want to sell as well as the Texas library email addresses.


The PVGS

Brownwood Mar 9, 2020 by Doris Dickerson-A visit to the court House had to be canceled as illness there but will be rescheduled for later. Jeanette opened the meeting at the Office 213 S. Broadway as usual with Prayer and Pledges led by Frank Hilton. Old minutes were confirmed and Ruth gave a report of $6000+ in the combined accounts. Judy suggested a listing of the book sale books might be sent to other Genealogy liberaries and volunteered to check on it. Edwin gave report on good attendance and book use with two from out of state. He also will put new wheels on the book cart so can be more useable. Jeanette explained the new sign in system Danny set up for the library to prevent over use of sites by patrons at home. Mr Hilton explained a great Project he and Clay are working on for the 80th Anniversary of Camp Bowie coming up in August. Ten books have been put together on the Camp news during those years and now awaiting being indexed. Clay is also keeping up the Facebook page with interesting articles as usual. Jeanette also explained Danny has interesting information on his site if any have not checked it all. Patsy won the Heirloom Album and then all enjoyed the fresh baked cookies the Richard & Jeanette Hodges brought, plus cupcakes & sandwiches from Sharon and Edwin & Irene.


The PVGS

Brownwood Jan 14, 2020 by Doris Dickerson-The January 13th meeting of the PVGS was held at the Genealogy Library 213 South Broadway with nineteen members attending 6:30pm til -. Jeannette opened the meeting as the new President with Prayer, Pledges, and asking for Prayer for Elna Clarks' husband from a stroke. Old minutes were confirmed and Jeannette explained the purpose of the new recorder to tape the meeting for records and used it as Judy was out of town. Ideas were given for the years programs by all. Ruth stated we had $5000 + in the bank to begin the year, Mr Hilton & Jeannette are to plan ways to sell the five boxes of extra copies of books – for the next meeting. Paula is working on the 2020 yearbooks and should be ready March 15. Geneva & Patsy explained they have been very busy cleaning and reorganizing the top shelves in the office and the film room. We still need more Volunteers to help in the Office through the week. Danny does great job on the web site and is helping set up the computers at the Office to be more accessible to sites. Clay's Facebook site is nearing 11,000. Always does a great job. Great treats were enjoyed as usual, thanks to Edwin, Irene, and Sharron. May all have a Blessed Year!